Understanding The Bible
Clarence E. Mason's "Soteriology II"
Return to Syllabus
BY THE AUTHOR
Dr. Clarence E. Mason, Jr.
Philadelphia College of Bible
- THE WORDS
The word "assurance" occur?; seven times in the King James Version: Dt. 28:66;
Isa. 32:17; Acts 17:31; Col. 2:2; 1 Thes. 1:5; Heb. 6:11; 10:22.
- The Old Testament words;
- Batach - meaning to trust, to confide, Isa, 32:17.
- Aman - the primary meaning is to stay, to support. The
intransitive meaning is to stay oneself, to be stayed up, supported;
hence, to be firm, stable, such as one may safely lean upon, Dt. 28:66.
- The New Testament words
- Pistis - meaning faith, Acts 17:31.
- Plerophoria - meaning full assurance or most certain
confidence, Col. 2:2; Heb. 6:11; 10:22.
- A DISTINCTION
There is a distinction between assurance and eternal security. Eternal
security is a doctrine which means that one who is saved can never be lost.
Assurance is our realization of a salvation in which we will be eternally
Assurance, therefore, is a word of experience. Eternal security is a word of
fact based on doctrine. We are studying eternal security, but we will call it
- Because it is the scriptural word.
- We can approach eternal security definitely on the ground
that deals with assurance.
- THE USAGE OF THE WORD ASSURANCE
- The full assurance which is the result of faith, Heb.
10:19-22; 2 Tim. 1:12,
- The full assurance of understanding. Col. 2:2; cp. Col.
- A spiritual understanding of God's declarative
sentence, Jn. 5:24.
- A spiritual understanding of God's omnipotence, Jn.
10:28-29; Rom. 8:29-30; 14:4; 1 Pet. 1:3-5.
- A spiritual understanding of God's love will make for
assurance, Rom. 5:8-10.
- God's faithfulness to Christ gives assurance, Jn.
17:9-12,15,20; Jude 1; Rom. 8:1.
- The finished work of Christ gives assurance, Heb. 9:26;
1 Pet. 3:18; Acts 13:38-39.
- An understanding of Christ's resurrection and what
occurred in it is a fact which brings assurance.
- The life which we have in the Lord Jesus Christ is
His resurrection life, Col. 2:12-13; 3:4; Rom. 6:9.
- There is the matter of our union with Christ, Rom.
- Christ's present ministry makes for assurance.
- Christ is the Mediator, 1 Tim. 2:5.
- Christ is the Advocate, Heb. 9:24; 1 Jn. 2:1. c.
Christ is the Intercessor, Jn. 17:9, 15,20; Lk. 22:31-32; Jn. 14:19;
Heb. 7:25; Rom. 5:10.
- The work of the Holy Spirit is a ground for our
- The Holy Spirit regenerates.
- Born of God, Jn. 1:13.
- Born of the water and of the Spirit, Jn. 3:3-6.
- Washed in the laver of regeneration, Ti. 3:4-6
- Baptized into the body of Christ, 1 Cor. 12:13.
- Sealed by the Spirit, Eph. 4:30.
- Indwelt by the Spirit, Jn. 7:37-39.
- The full assurance of hope, Heb. 6:11; 2 Cor. 1:10; 2
Tim. 4:8, 18; 1 Pet. 1:3.
- THE OBJECTIONS TO THE DOCTRINE OF ASSURANCE
Hebrews 6:4-6 - these are professors who have gone far, but not far enough.
They could never come into Christianity again as a new thing. They would
have to return unto something that they had forsaken, Mt. 25:1-13; 7:22-23.
- Apostates, Heb. 10:26
- Dwelling in our own sinfulness
- Salvation rests upon justification and not
sanctification. It is wholly of God, by grace through faith, and rests on
a trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour, 1 Jn. 3:1-2.
- God's ultimate purpose in salvation is conformity to
His Son, Rom. 8:29.
- A growth in grace on the part of the child of God will
undoubtedly increase his own recognition of sin. Paul said: 1 Cor. 15:9,
"I am the least of the apostles"; Eph. 3:8, "I am less than all saints"; 1
Tim. 1:15, "I am the greatest of all sinners. "
Assurance is the believer's full conviction that he is in the present
possession of a salvation in which he will be eternally kept and this
assurance is the result or effect of his perfect righteousness in Christ
- EVIDENCE OF SALVATION WHICH BRINGS ASSURANCE
- Knowledge of God as Father, Mt. 6:32; 7:11; Gal. 4:6
- Reality of prayer, Eph. 6:17-18; Rom. 8:26-27
- An understanding of the Word and experience thereof, Jn.
16:12-15; Lk. 24:32,45; 1 Jn. 2:27
Return to Syllabus
200 Manor Avenue
Langhorne, PA 19047
United States of America
Notes" Study materials on this website are made available
here free, through the generosity of Cairn University,
and may be copied for use in Bible study groups, in limited numbers, providing
that no charge is made for them. No further distribution or use
of these materials is allowable under U.S. or International Copyright
Law without the express permission of Cairn University.