Understanding The Bible
Clarence E. Mason's "MATTHEW"
The Order of Events Compared with Mark, Luke, and
BY THE AUTHOR
Dr. Clarence E. Mason, Jr.
Philadelphia College of Bible
ADDENDA TO MATTHEW
THE ORDER OF EVENTS COMPARED WITH MARK. LUKE, AND JOHN
- ORDER OF EVENTS AS A BACKGROUND FOR MATTHEW 1:18-2:23
The order of events is:
- Annunciation of begetting of John, Lk. 1:5-25;
- Annunciation to Mary of Jesus' begetting by Holy Spirit,
- Song of Elizabeth to Mary upon her visit, Lk. 1:39-45;
- The Magnificat of Mary, Lk. 1:46-56;
- Birth and childhood of John and his desert life, Lk.
- Annunciation to Joseph by angel of Jesus' begetting, Mt.
- The birth of Jesus, Lk. 2:1-7;
- The praise of angels and homage of shepherds, Lk. 2:8-20;
- Circumcision of Jesus, Lk. 2:21;
- Experiences at Jesus' dedication in Jerusalem temple
(Simeon and Anna) Lk. 2:22-38;
- Wise Men from East visit the One "Born King of the Jews,
" Mt. 2:1-12;
- The Child Jesus carried to Egypt and Bethlehem children
slain, Mt. 2:13-18;
- Child brought from Egypt to Nazareth, Mt. 2:19-23;Lk.
- Visit of Jesus at the age of 12 to temple at Jerusalem,
- The 18 Years at Nazareth, Lk. 2:51-52. (The genealogies:
Mt. 1:1-17; Lk. 3:23-38.)
- ORDER OF EVENTS AS BACKGROUND FOR BEGINNING OF JOHN'S AND
JESUS' MINISTRY Mt. 3:1-4:12
- Time of beginning of John's ministry, Lk. 3:1-2; Mk. 1:1;
- John's message and personality, Mt. 3:1-6; Mk. 1:2-6; Lk.
- Summary of a typical sermon by John, Mt. 3:7-10; Lk.
- John pictures Messiah before Jesus came to him, Mt.
3:11-12; Mk. 1:7-8; Lk. 3:15-18;
- Jesus comes to John and is baptized, Mt. 3:13-17; Mk.
1:9-11; Lk. 3:21-23;
- Our Lord's temptation, Mt. 4:1-11; Mk. 1:12-13; Lk.
- Testimony of John to the Sanhedrin Committee, Jn.
- John's public identification of Jesus as the Messiah, Jn.
- Jesus brings to personal faith His earliest disciples,
- Jesus works His first miracle at Cana, Jn. 2:1-11;
- Jesus' first visit to Capernaum with early disciples and
kindred, Jn. 2:12;
- The first cleansing of the temple (AD 27), Jn. 2:13-22;
- Jesus' interview with Nicodemus, Jn. 2:23-3:21;
- Parallel ministry of John and Jesus (with John loyal to
Jesus), Jn. 3:22-36;
- Jesus leaves Judea out of gentle courtesy to John (John
soon imprisoned), Jn. 4:1-4; Lk. 3:19-20; 4:14; Mk. 1:14; Mt. 4:12;
- Jesus' ministry passing through Samaria, Jn. 4:5-42;
- Arrival of Jesus back in Galilee, Jn. 4:43-45.
- THE GREAT GALILEAN MINISTRY Mt. 4:13-14:12
Already you have seen above that many events took place between our Lord's
temptation (Mt. 4:11) and various things said from Matthew 4:12 on. As
remarked in the Introduction to the book, we shall begin to see more fully
that Matthew often collects his material in logical rather than chronological
Observe certain events, in the order which follows, in that portion of our
Lord's life generally called THE GREAT GALILEAN MINISTRY, which includes the
material --not always chronological - -between Matthew 4:13 and 14:12:
- Summary account of His teaching in Galilee, Mt. 4:17.
- Healing at Cana of son of centurion, Jn. 4:46-54.
- First rejection at Nazareth, Lk. 4:16-31.
- The new home (headquarters) at Capernaum, Mt. 4:13-16.
- Jesus calls four fishers of men to service, Mt. 4:18-22;
Lk. 5:1-11; Mk. 1:16-20.
- Synagogue Sabbath controversy over healing of demoniac,
Mk. 1:21-28; Lk. 4:31-37.
- Jesus heals Peter's mother-in-law and others, Mt.
8:14-17; Mk. 1:29-34; Lk. 4:38-41.
- FIRST TOUR OF GALILEE WITH THE FOUR FISHERMEN. Mk.
1:35-39; Lk. 4:42-44; Mt. 4:23-25.
- A leper healed, Mt. 8:2-4; Mk. 1:40-45; Lk. 5:12-16.
- A paralytic healed, Mt. 9:1-8; Mk. 2:1-12; Lk. 5:17-26.
- Call of Matthew (Levi) and his reception in honor of
Jesus, Mt. 9:9^-13; Mk. 2:13-17; Lk. 5:27-32.
- Three parables defending disciples, Mt. 9:14-17; Mk.
2:18-22; Lk. 5:33-39.
- Jesus heals lame man on Sabbath and defends His action,
- A second Sabbath controversy over plucking grain, Mt.
12:1-8; Mk. 2:23-28; Lk. 6:1-5.
- A third Sabbath controversy over healing the man with
withered hand, Mt. 12:9-14; Mk. 3:1-6; Lk. 6:6-11.
- Jesus teaches and heals great multitudes by Galilee, Mt.
12:15-21; Mk. 3:7-12.
- AFTER NIGHT OF PRAYER, JESUS SELECTS TWELVE APOSTLES, Mt.
10:1-4; Mk. 3:13-19; Lk. 6:12-16.
- THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT, Mt. 5:1-8:1; Lk. 6:17-49.
- Jesus heals centurion's servant at Capernaum, Mt. 8:5-13;
- He raises from death the son of a widow at Nain, Lk.
- John's inquiry and Jesus' eulogy of John, Mt. 11:2-19; Lk.
- WOES UPON CITIES WHO NEGLECTED GREAT SPIRITUAL
OPPORTUNITIES, Mt. 11:20-30.
- The anointing of Christ's feet (and a parable), Lk.
- SECOND TOUR OF GALILEE, Lk. 8:1-3.
- BLASPHEMOUS ACCUSATION OF LEAGUE WITH BEELZEBUB - THE
UNPARDONABLE SIN! Mt. 12:22-37; Mk. 3:19-30.
- SCRIBES AND PHARISEES DEMAND A SIGN (He gave it--Jonah!),
- CHRIST'S MOTHER AND BROTHERS SEEK TO TAKE HIM HOME, Mt.
12:46-50; Mk. 3:31-35; Lk. 8:19-21.
- THE PARABLES OF THE KINGDOM IN "MYSTERY," Mt. 13; Mk.
4:3-25; Lk. 8:5-18.
At this point, the student is referred to Robertson's Harmony of the Gospels
for the detail of which only a summary follows:
Other events of this series (in Matthew's gospel) are:
- (1) Jesus stills tempest, Mt. 8:18,23-27.
- (2) Demoniac healed, Mt. 8:28-34.
- (3) Jairus's daughter raised and woman healed, Mt.
- (4) Sight given to two blind men, Mt. 9:27-34.
- (5) Last visit to Nazareth, Mt. 13:54-58.
- (6) THIRD TOUR OF GALILEE, Mt. 9:35-11:1.
- (7) Guilty fears of Herod about John, Mt. 14:1-12.
THE REMAINING MAJOR PERIODS ARE (as recorded by Matthew):
- SPECIAL TRAINING OF THE TWELVE IN GALILEE
Most of Mt. 14:13 to 18:35 is in this period.
(Note: (14) to (28) of previous division III above occurred between John 5 and
- LATER JUDEAN MINISTRY John and Luke mainly
- LATER PEREAN MINISTRY Mt. 19-20, and largely in Luke and
- LAST PUBLIC MINISTRY IN JERUSALEM Mt. 21-23, and parallels
in other gospels
- IN THE SHADOW WITH JESUS Mt. 24-26, and parallels in other
- ARREST, TRIAL, CRUCIFIXION, AND BURIAL OF JESUS Mt.
26:47-27:66, and parallels in other gospels
- THE RESURRECTION APPEARANCES AND ASCENSION OF CHRIST Mt.
28, and parallels in other gospels (see New Scofield note at John 20:16).
200 Manor Avenue
Langhorne, PA 19047
United States of America
Notes" Study materials on this website are made available
here free, through the generosity of Cairn University,
and may be copied for use in Bible study groups, in limited numbers, providing
that no charge is made for them. No further distribution or use
of these materials is allowable under U.S. or International Copyright
Law without the express permission of Cairn University.